The Georgia DNR Wildlife Resources Division maintains partnerships with four youth organizations that offer opportunities for safe instruction and competition in the various disciplines of competitive clay target shooting:
- One of the most widely known youth shooting sports organizations in the state is Georgia 4-H’s SAFE (Shooting Awareness, Fun and Education) Project. With teams for youth as young as the 4th grade, 4-H offers multiple shooting disciplines for students across the state, with an emphasis on safe handling and use of archery and firearms, as well as life skills and youth development. Starting in 7th grade, students may participate on their county’s shotgun team, competing in either Modified Trap and/or the American versions of trap, skeet, and sporting clays. To find out more about Georgia 4-H and what SAFE teams are available in your county, call your local county UGA Extension office or visit www.Georgia4h.org/safe.
- Another organization is the Scholastic Clay Target Program (SCTP). A part of the Scholastic Shooting Sports Federation (SSSF), SCTP is a nationally known organization with chapters in every state, including Georgia. SCTP offers youth the opportunity to compete in American trap, skeet, and sporting clays, as well as some of the internal disciplines. For more information about SCTP, including active teams in Georgia, visit www.sssfonline.org/scholastic-clay-target-program/.
- Both the Georgia Independent School Association (GISA) and the Georgia Independent Christian Athletic Association (GICAA) offer shotgun as a lettering sport in their member high schools. Starting in 2013 and 2014, respectively, GA DNR partnered with these school organizations to help them develop and grow their programs. Year over year, both organizations have seen an increase in both the number of participating students as well as in the level of skill each team brings to district and state competitions.
GISA, GICAA, & SCTP Coach Information
- Advanced Shotgun Coach's Clinic: July 23, 2019 (Information and Registration Link)
- GISA-GICAA Grant Packet (contains grant information due May 10, 2019; and other general info)
- Coach Time Sheet (Example Time Sheet)
- GISA, GICAA, SCTP Coach Training Schedule (includes important dates and info for upcoming NRA Level 1 Shotgun Coach Courses)