Northwest Georgia (Region 1)
Storm damage has created some road issues on Cohutta WMA. The Cohutta Ranger District reports the following issues:
- Rocky Flats Road (FS 630D) is closed due to storm damage and will re-open when repairs are completed.
The archery range at J.L. Lester WMA currently is closed as staff explores potential renovation options.
Northeast Georgia (Region 2)
Boggs Creek Road is open for day use only.
The following roads have been closed due to extreme wet conditions: Railroad, Azalea Ridge, Power Line, Reservoir, Field and Ford.
East Central Georgia (Region 3)
DOT has closed a USFS bridge on Skull Shoals Road.
West Central Georgia (Region 4)
Shooting Range: The 50-yard range is closed on educational Range Days.
Southwest Georgia (Region 5)
Chickasawhatchee Road is closed at Spring Creek. Flooding has washed the out the road.
Cordele Hatchery (Not a WMA, but Host to Waterfowl Hunts on the Impoundment)
Recent heavy rains resulted in the dam at Cordele Hatchery being compromised and losing the ability to manage and maintain the impoundment for waterfowl hunting. All remaining waterfowl hunts have been cancelled. Notice posted Mon. Dec. 3, 2018.
Bridge formerly available on this WMA is permanently closed. Alternative routes have been established.
Southeast Georgia (Region 6)
Recent heavy rains have caused Swamp Cut Road, Boat Landing Road and Three Bridges Road to be closed. Roads will reopen after water recedes and roads dry such that repairs can be made to make roads suitable for vehicular traffic.
Recent heavy rains have caused Main Road and Hammock Lake Road to be closed. Roads will reopen after water recedes and roads dry such that repairs can be made to make roads suitable for vehicular traffic.
Due to military training needs on the federally owned portion (Highway 221 tract) of Grand Bay WMA, that section will be closed to public access periodically until September 2019.
A portion of this tract (off Highway 84) is closed due to flooding from the Alapaha River.
Recent heavy rains have caused Jack Lake Road and Beecham Lake Road to be closed. Roads will reopen after water recedes and roads dry such that repairs can be made to make roads suitable for vehicular traffic.
Coastal Georgia (Region 7)
- The job of repairing Hurricane Irma damages to the Altamaha Waterfowl Management Area (located on the Altamaha Wildlife Management Area) continues. Waterfowl hunters planning to hunt this area should take note of repairs and conditions to help prevent unwanted surprises and frustrations.
- The access road to the McGowan Lake Tract is closed until further notice due to high water levels.
- Waterfowl Quota Hunts scheduled for Jan. 19th & 26th 2019 have been canceled due to extreme flooding at Butler Island and West Champney.
The Low Road is closed until further notice due to high water levels.
- The road accessing the Buck Island Tract is closed until further notice due to high water levels.
- On the Pine Island Tract, the road that crosses Black Calico Swamp is closed.
- On the North Tract, the road that crosses Horse Fjord is closed.
- On the South Tract, Wesley Lake Road is closed.
Other Affiliated Facilities
- Waterfowl hunts (adult and youth) scheduled for Jan. 19th & 26th are being affected by the federal shutdown
- Please refer to the facility's webpage for further information at https://www.fws.gov/refuge/Eufaula/
Dixon Memorial Shooting Range and the road leading up to the site are closed due to expected rainfall through the weekend.
The J.L. Lester Archery Range located on J.L. Lester WMA in Polk County is currently closed for renovation work. The re-open date is not yet determined.
On Oct. 1, both the archery and shooting range at Richmond Hill WMA closed for renovations. The renovation work is expected to take approximately six months to complete. The re-open date is not yet determined.
The West Point Shooting Range on the West Point WMA closed on July 30 due to the need to complete renovation work. The work is expected to take approximately nine months to complete. The re-open date is not yet determined.
The Wilson Shoals Range is temporarily closed for renovations. Re-opening is expected for March 2019.
Ocmulgee River: Wise Creek
The Wise Creek access on the Ocmulgee River on U.S. Forest Service land in Jasper County is closed for repairs. Signs are posted at Wise Creek and at Popper Tract (located upstream—since many kayakers and canoeists put in at Popper Tract and traverse down to Wise Creek for takeout). It is not yet known when repairs will be able to be scheduled, so there is currently no planned re-opening date.
Savannah River Lock & Dam
The Lock and Dam boat ramp facility on the Savannah River is closed until further notice by order of Richmond Co Emergency Management Authority due to the recent flooding, and will re-open at such time that the proper authorities determine that the need for closure has passed.
No cautions at this time.
Upcoming Maintenance & Construction (Ramps Open)
No upcoming maintenance at this time.