The Chestnut Mountain Shooting Range is located on John's Mountain Wildlife Management Area in Whitfield County.
The US Forest Service has switched to a cashless payment system. You will have to download the recreation.gov app, set up an account and pay online to use the facilities. Visit the USFS site for definitive information on using the ranges.
Please note that proof of payment has to be shown at arrival. Cell service can be poor at the ranges so take a screenshot or print off with you.
Please note that Green Tip or armor piercing ammo is not allowed at the range.
Please watch the required range safety video before heading out to your local range as they can have little to no cell reception. Follow the steps below to complete the required form.
- Visit GoOutdoorsGeorgia
- Go to License & Permits where you’ll be prompted to log in and select ‘Purchase Licenses’
- At the bottom of the page under the ‘Specialty’ section, select ‘Range Safety Video Certification’ and add to cart
- Check out
- Watch the video in its entirety and submit
- Select ‘Check Out Now’
- Process order
- Your completed certification will now be tied to your account
- 100-yard Range
- Allatoona WMA
- Arrowhead WMA
- Berry College WMA
- Chief Vann House State Historic Site
- Cloudland Canyon State Park
- Cohutta WMA
- Conasauga River WMA
- Coosawattee WMA
- Carter's Lake WMA
- Crockford-Pigeon Mountain WMA
- Etowah Indian Mounds State Historic Site
- Fort Mountain State Park
- James H. "Sloppy" Floyd State Park
- New Echota State Historic Site
- Otting WMA
- Red Top Mountain State Park
- Rocky Mountain PFA
- Sheffield WMA
- Summerville Trout Hatchery
- Zahnd WMA
From I-75: take exit 320 (Lafayette, Resaca exit). Turn left on Highway 136 and go approximately 5 miles, turn right where the 136 connector runs into Highway 136. Go approximately 0.26 miles and range is on the right.