2023 Dog-Bear Quota Hunt Information
- Season dates: Sept 30 – Oct 8, 2023
- 2 Wildlife Management Areas: Chattahoochee and Chestatee.
- 15 parties will be drawn.
- A party can be up to 10 hunters.
- The bag limit is 5 bears per party; no more than 2 bears may be taken by any single hunter. Bears taken during this hunt also count toward the individual hunter’s statewide bag limit for whomever actually kills the bear.
- Hunters must provide their own dogs. Dog handlers are party members.
- Youth aged 15 or younger may accompany the hunting party without counting against the maximum of 10. However, any bear harvested by a youth will count toward the party’s 5 bear limit and the youth’s individual bag limit of 2.
How to Apply
- Online applications only.
- Application period is August 1–15, 2023.
- The person who applies is the party administrator. They can bring up to 9 people to the check station to complete the party of 10 hunters. If they choose, they can add another party member at the time of application who will serve as co-administrator. They can bring 8 people to the check station to complete their party of 10. If 1 of them cannot be there, the other must still check in for the other 8 to participate. You may declare your co-administrator at check in.
- You must provide a valid email address to receive notification of being drawn, however hunters can always log into their customer account or call 1-800-366-2661 to learn of their draw status after the deadline.
- Hunters may hunt on both WMAs. For the purposes of application, the areas are treated as 1 unit (you apply for the hunt once).
Other Rules & Regulations Relative to this Hunt
- All party members must have a hunting license and big game permit.
- Administrators must check in at the Chestatee check station and provide a list of their party members at check in.
- All harvested bears must be checked out. The entire hide and head must be presented at the check station. You may quarter the bear to pack it out.
- All administrators must attend a mandatory pre-hunt meeting at the Chestatee check station. One will be held at 7 p.m. on Friday, September 29, 2023 at the Chestatee check station; if you cannot be there, you may check in at 6 a.m. Saturday, Sept 30 at the check station.
- All pre-hunt communication will be only with the drawn party administrator (and co-administrator if one was added to the application), as they’re the only people for whom we have contact info.
- NOTE REGARDING PRIORITY POINTS: since the 2021 season, all hunters who participate in the dog-bear hunt have all of their priority points for this hunt deducted.