B.F. Grant Wildlife Management Area is located near Eatonton with the majority of the property lying in Putnam County, and a small portion in Morgan County. This 11,40-acre property is owned by the University of Georgia, and has hunting opportunities for deer, turkey, small game, dove, and waterfowl. It is managed as a quality deer area and thus antlered deer that are harvested must have either a 15” outside spread or a 16” main beam. The property was originally the Central Georgia Experiment Station, and started as a WMA under that name in 1965. The WMA was changed to B.F. Grant in 1973, named after Bishop Franklin Grant. Grant was a Professor of Forestry at the University of Georgia from 1929 to 1965. He was inducted into the Georgia Foresters Hall of Fame in 1969.
B.F. Grant is synonymous with quality deer and in November of 1974 Thomas Cooper harvested the largest buck ever on Georgia public land, a 215 7/8" non-typical Boone & Crockett. This deer was also the largest killed in North America that year.
The property is home to a 45-acre waterfowl M.A.R.S.H. (Matching Aid to Restore State’s Habitats) project that was constructed in 1991. The project is a cooperative effort between DNR, Ducks Unlimited, and University of Georgia. The project consists of an open water pond, a green tree reservoir, and a moist soil impoundment. The B.F. Grant M.A.R.S.H. pond acts as a wintering refuge for waterfowl, and thus is not open for duck hunting.
Accommodations & Facilities
- Dove Field
- Lake (access controlled by UGA)
- MARSH Project
- Geocaching — not allowed during managed hunts or before 10 a.m. during turkey season
- Lake Fishing
- Wildlife Viewing
- Bartram Forest WMA
- Cedar Creek WMA
- Charlie Elliott Wildlife Center
- Clybel WMA
- Echeconnee Creek WMA
- Jarrell Plantation State Historic Site
- Oconee WMA
- Redlands WMA
- Rum Creek WMA
- Marben PFA
- Walton WMA & Hatchery