TALON is a one-of-a kind camp for teens with a strong interest in the outdoors, birding and ecology. Each day the adventure begins as we travel by charter bus to barrier islands, state parks, wildlife management areas and refuges along Georgia’s coast. Evening classes challenge our campers with presentations and quizzes about bird identification, songs, behavior, flight, migration and other “birdy” topics. At camp’s end we come home with new and improved birding skills, a better understanding of coastal ecology, and great memories!
- Length of each camp: 6 days, 5 nights.
- Availability: Space for 18 campers at each session.
- Serious students: For beginning to experienced birders who don’t mind long, hot, sometimes “buggy” days on beaches and marshes.
- Ages: Boys and girls ages 14–19. Older birders who have attended before may be eligible for internships.
- 3:1 student/teacher ratio. Trips, classes led by biologists, ornithologists and environmental educators, each with 20+ years of experience.
- Sponsors: Georgia Department of Natural Resources, TERN, Georgia Ornithological Society and Georgia Audubon Society.
June 3-8, 2023
- Camp flyer
- Base camp: Epworth by the Sea on St. Simons Island.
- Potential trips: Little St. Simons Island, Ft. Stewart, Altamaha WMA, St. Simons Island, Andrews Island, Sapelo Island, Cumberland Island, Harris Neck and Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuges.
- Registration and fees:
- Early registration ends April 14, 2023: $400 (paid in full).
- Late registration ends May 5: $450 (paid in full).
For more information on Camp TALON, contact:
- Julie Duncan: email@example.com, 770-313-5762
- Bob Sargent: firstname.lastname@example.org, 404-291-8124