"General Coffee State Park is a place for quiet rejuvenation where you can uncover the footprints of the past as you explore the diverse wiregrass region of South Georgia."
One of southern Georgia’s “best kept secrets,” this park is known for agricultural history shown at Heritage Farm, with log cabins, a corn crib, tobacco barn, cane mill and other exhibits. Children enjoy feeding the park's farm animals, which usually include goats, sheep, chickens, pigs and donkeys. Overnight accommodations include camping, cottages and the Burnham House, an elegantly decorated 19th-century cabin perfect for romantic getaways.
Seventeen-Mile River and a boardwalk wind through cypress swamp where rare and endangered plants grow. Pitcher plants, shy indigo snakes and gopher tortoises make their homes in this wiregrass community. Birding and nature photography are exceptional.
For horse lovers, the park offers 13.4 miles of equestrian trails. Ride-in campsites are primitive, offering exceptional privacy surrounded by nature. Drive-in campsites offer nearby water spigots, pit toilets, grills, fire rings and picnic tables. Stables are not provided.
The park was donated to the state by a group of Coffee County citizens in 1970 and is named after General John Coffee, a planter, U.S. Congressman and military leader.
Reservations, Accommodations & Facilities
- 1,511 Acres
- 4 Acre Lake
- Burnham Cottage & Hawksnest House
- 5 Cottages
- 50 Tent, Trailer & RV Campsites
- 4 Equestrian Campsites — call park to reserve
- 2 Primitive Equestrian Campsites — call park to reserve
- 1 Group Lodge (sleeps 40) — call park to reserve
- 7 Picnic Shelters
- 1 Group Shelter (seats 180)
- 1 Pioneer Campground
- Outdoor Amphitheater — call park to reserve
- Animal Farm
- Wi-Fi — available in the park office
Things To Do & See
- Archery — Archery Range Information
- Boating — private boats allowed, electric motors only, no boat ramp
- Educational Programs
- Hiking — 4 miles of trails
- Horseback Riding (trail fee) — 13.4 miles of trails
- Weddings — park approval required
- Bike Rental
- Kayak, Canoe & Pedal Boat Rental
- Fitzgerald, GA
- Georgia Museum of Agriculture & Historic Village
- Jefferson Davis Memorial State Historic Site
- Laura S. Walker State Park & Golf Course
- Little Ocmulgee State Park & Lodge + Golf Course
- Stephen C. Foster State Park
- Suwannee River Eco-Lodge
Park 7 a.m.–10 p.m.
Office 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
Fees & Passes
$5 parking. Annual passes available.
46 John Coffee Road
Nicholls, GA 31554
N 31.509300 | W -082.755116