Logo graphic for the WildLife Resources Division
Press Release

Georgia Outdoor Recreation Pass - New Access Pass Required in 2012

SOCIAL CIRCLE, Ga. (10/26/2011)

A new access pass, called the Georgia Outdoor Recreation Pass (GORP), will be required for visitors to some wildlife areas beginning Jan. 1, 2012, according to the Georgia Department of Natural Resources, Wildlife Resources Division. Those that potentially will need the pass include hikers, birders, cavers, cyclists and other non-traditional user groups of wildlife management areas, public fishing areas and some natural areas.

Wildlife Resources Director Dan Forster said the GORP answers a long-realized need for those users to help cover the cost of providing the property. The new system allows a broader range of constituents -- beyond hunters and anglers -- to contribute more equitably. He added that the fee structure developed in the GORP "is the result of a broad-based and extensive public involvement process.” 

The GORP will be required on 32 affected properties in Georgia. Each area is managed for wildlife, habitat and outdoors activities, work that previously was funded mostly by revenue from hunting and fishing licenses. However, these same areas often were heavily used by secondary activities such as hiking, cycling, birding and more. 

A GORP for an individual costs $3.50 (three days) and $19 (annual) for individuals. For groups of eight or fewer people, a GORP is $10 (three days) and $35 (annual). The pass is required for visitors ages 16-64, but not for those who have a valid WMA, honorary, sportsmen’s, lifetime or three-day hunting and fishing license. 

The GORP will go on sale beginning Nov. 1, 2011. It is available at www.georgiawildlife.com/recreational-licenses , by calling 1.800.366.2661 or via retail license agents. A high-value version called GORP Plus ($3.50) is available only to Georgia residents and covers three days access plus hunting and fishing privileges.  

For more information or to see a list of areas, visit www.georgiawildlife.com/Georgia-Outdoor-Recreational-Pass

EDITOR’S NOTE: Following is a list of User Fee Areas where a Georgia Outdoor Recreational Pass will be required, starting January 1, 2012.  

List by Area, Facilities within the Area, County

Wildlife Management Area (WMA), Public Fishing Area (PFA), Natural Area (NA) 

1. Altamaha WMA, Butler and Champney Islands and McGowan Lake Tract, McIntosh County

2. Beaverdam WMA, Shooting Range, Laurens County

3. Big Hammock WMA, Shooting Range, Tattnall County

4. Big Lazer Creek WMA, Shooting Range and PFA, Talbot County

5. Bullard Creek WMA, Shooting Range, Jeff Davis County

6. Chickasawhatchee WMA, Shooting Range, Baker County

7. Clayhole Swamp WMA, Campground and Ponds, Glynn County

8. Clybel WMA, Entire Area including Marben PFA but excluding Charlie Elliott Wildlife Center, Jasper County

9. Crockford-Pigeon Mountain WMA, Entire Area, Walker County

10. Dawson Forest WMA, North of GA Hwy 53, Dawson County

11. Dixon Memorial WMA, Shooting Range, Ware County

12. Dodge County PFA, Entire Area, Dodge County

13. Evans County PFA, Entire Area, Evans County

14. Flat Creek PFA, Entire Area, Houston County

15. Grand Bay WMA, Entire Area, Lowndes County

16. Hannahatchee WMA, Shooting Range, Stewart County

17. Hugh M. Gillis PFA, Entire Area, Laurens County

18. J.L. Lester WMA, Entire Area, Polk County

19. Mayhaw WMA, Shooting Range, Miller County

20. McDuffie PFA, Entire Area, McDuffie County

21. McGraw Ford WMA, Entire Area, Cherokee County

22. Ocmulgee WMA, Shooting Range and PFA, Pulaski County

23. Paradise PFA, Entire Area, Berrien County

24. Rich Mountain WMA - Cartecay Tract, Entire Area, Gilmer County

25. Richmond Hill WMA, Shooting Range, Bryan County

26. Silver Lake WMA (NA), Riding Trails Access, Decatur County

27. Sprewell Bluff WMA, East of the Flint River, Upson County

28. Tuckahoe WMA, Campground, Screven County

29. Walton WMA, Shooting Ranges, Walton County

30. Wilson Shoals WMA, Shooting Range, Banks County

31. Yuchi WMA, Shooting Range, Burke County

32. Zahnd WMA (NA), Entire Area, Walker County 


Receive FREE, timely updates on topics of interest. Sign Up Here!

Available Now! Click here to download.

LICENSES - 3 Ways to Buy

1. Phone 1-800-366-2661
2. Online - here
3. Retail License Vendor listing - here

Ranger Hotline


Report poaching and wildlife violations. You can receive a cash reward if your tip leads to an arrest—even if you wish to remain anonymous.
More Info >