Little St. Simons Island is the last family-owned island on Georgia’s coast. One of its most famous owners was Pierce Butler and his wife Fanny Kemble, who grew rice there during Georgia’s plantation days. It was purchased in 1908 by Philip Berlzheimer and his descendants still own the island and operate a retreat where overnight guests are invited to visit to fish, hunt, horseback ride, canoe, take nature tours, and enjoy its six and one-half miles of beaches.
The island has a total acreage of 8,840 acres including marsh. 2,300 of these acres are uplands. The island has excellent examples of fresh and brackish water ponds that serve as habitats for more than 200 species of birds.