WMA Road Closure or Accessibility Info
NORTHWEST GEORGIA (Region 1)
NORTHEAST GEORGIA (Region 2)
EAST CENTRAL GEORGIA (Region 3)
WEST CENTRAL GEORGIA (Region 4)
- Big Lazer Creek WMA : River Road on the WMA will be closed beginning Monday, March 10 for road maintenance activities related to the canoe access project. The work should be completed by the end of the week (March 14, 2014).
- Blanton Creek WMA : Highway 103 has detour signs, to access the WMA follow these directions:
- From the South, take I-185 north, get off at exit 25 and turn left. Ignore the road detour signs and drive around the barricade to continue on to the WMA. The road closure is located past the WMA.
- From the North, take I-185 and get off at exit 30 and take a right on Hopewell Church Road and then take a left on Pine Lake Road. At the end of Pine Lake take a right on Hwy 103 and continue to the WMA.
- Oaky Woods WMA or Ocmulgee WMA Users: Heads Up for Opening Day of Turkey Season: Work is scheduled to begin on March 22 (6 am - 8 pm) on a stretch of Ga. 96 in Houston and Twiggs counties that may affect hunters trying to get to Ocmulgee or Oaky Woods. Read here for more information.
- Ocmulgee WMA : The gate behind the Ocmulgee Check Station at the railroad crossing is closed due to high water. It will re-open once the river falls back into its bank.
SOUTHWEST GEORGIA (Region 5)
Chickasawhatchee WMA : Due to excess rainfall followed by creek flooding, many roads on this WMA are impassable (areas most impacted include Pine Island, 7 Bridges, and Flat Loop). Turkey hunters are asked to use caution and should not attempt to drive through flooded areas of the roads. Bridges formerly available on this WMA are currently closed (includes bridges on Seven Bridges Road and Flat Loop Road). Alternative routes have been established. Please see linked map for details.
Elmodel WMA : Bridge formerly available on this WMA is currently closed. Alternative routes have been established. Please see linked map for details.
Mayhaw WMA : Due to excess rainfall followed by creek flooding, many roads on this WMA are impassable. Turkey hunters are asked to use caution and should not attempt to drive through flooded areas of the roads.
Silver Lake WMA : Due to excess rainfall followed by creek flooding, the Hog Farm tract of this WMA is impassable. Turkey hunters are asked to use caution and should not attempt to drive through flooded areas of the roads.
SOUTHEAST GEORGIA (Region 6)
Horse Creek WMA : The following roads on Horse Creek WMA are temporarily closed-Goathouse Road and Cross Break Road. Region staff repaired large holes in these roads this week (August 4-8) and need to give time for work to dry and stabilize. If no major rain events occur, the roads should be re-opened by small game season.
COASTAL GEORGIA (Region 7)
WMAs along Altamaha River: Roads within WMAs along the Altamaha River may be flooded and impassable. Proceed with caution and do not drive a vehicle into deep water. These roads may not be gated or listed as closed. Access to the McGowan Lake tract (Altamaha WMA) is limited and access to the lake is closed due to road damage by the rising water levels.
Penholoway WMA : Due to the Altamaha River level, the Boyles Island Tract will NOT be accessible by vehicle for the upcoming special hog hunt (March 1-15, 2014). The front gate is closed as it is currently underwater. The WMA is still accessible by boat for the hog hunt. Call 912-262-3173 with any questions.
 http://georgiawildlife.com/sites/default/files/uploads/wildlife/hunting/wma/pdfs/WMARoadClosure DawsonForestAtlantaTract GateSchedule 2014-15.pdf
 http://www.gohuntgeorgia.com/sites/default/files/uploads/wildlife/maps/wma/region5/Chickasawhatchee_WMA_Line Sept2012.pdf
 http://www.gohuntgeorgia.com/sites/default/files/uploads/wildlife/maps/wma/region5/Elmodel_WMA_Line Sept2012.pdf
 http://georgiawildlife.com/sites/default/files/uploads/wildlife/hunting/wma/pdfs/WMARoadClosureGBWMA 2014-15.pdf