How Do I Get a Hull Identification Number (HIN)?
- Boat owners should use every effort to determine if a boat has an existing HIN or resolve problems with a HIN for use in the registration process.
- A HIN is required for boats manufactured after November 1, 1972. If the HIN is unavailable and unknown, the boat owner must first contact the boat manufacturer to obtain a replacement HIN (if they are still in business). A list of boat manufacturers is available by clicking HERE.
- If the HIN is known but the plate is missing or the HIN not inscribed on the boat, the boat owner is responsible for permanently affixing the HIN to the boat using this guidance. (http://www.georgiawildlife.com/node/3672 )
- If the HIN is an improper format, the applicant will be asked to electronically upload or send a picture or pencil tracing of the HIN to DNR for verification and further instruction.
- If the manufacturer is out of business or will not assist the boat owner, a DNR HIN Inspection is necessary. DNR will assign a HIN number during the inspection process and the boat owner is responsible for permanently affixing the HIN to the boat. Information on arranging an inspection can be found Here. (http://gadnrle.org/vessel-inspections )