Hunters in need of the Georgia hunter education course have two options - completely online or a classroom course, according to the Georgia Department of Natural Resources’ Wildlife Resources Division.
“Our customers can take the hunter education course completely online,” says Walter Lane, hunter development program manager with the Wildlife Resources Division. “This allows students to complete the course at THEIR convenience. We also continue to offer the more traditional classroom course.”
The available online courses each require a fee (from $9.95 - $29.00), but all are “pass or don’t pay” courses. Fees for these courses are charged by and collected by the independent course developer. If the online course vendor fees are an obstacle, students can attend the 8-hour classroom course free of charge.
Completion of a hunter education course is required for any person born on or after January 1, 1961, who:
- purchases a season hunting license in Georgia.
- is at least 12 years old and hunts without adult supervision.
- hunts big game (deer, turkey, bear) on a wildlife management area.
The only exceptions include any person who:
- purchases a short-term hunting license, such as the Apprentice License or the 3-day Hunting and Fishing Combo License (as opposed to a season license).
- is hunting on his or her own land, or that of his or her parents or legal guardians.
For more information, go to http://georgiawildlife.com/hunting/hunteredcourse or call 770-761-3010.