Lapham-Patterson House State Historic Site

Picture: 
Lapham-Patterson House State Historic Site

» Pet Notice:
› Leashed pets are allowed on historic site trails, however, they are not allowed in buildings. Please view our Park Rules page for more information.


This property is managed by the Thomas County Historical Society.


The Lapham-Patterson House is a monument to the imagination, creative engineering and craftsmanship of the Victorian Era. Fishscale shingles, oriental-style porch decorations, long-leaf pine inlaid floors, and a remarkable double-flue chimney with a walk-through stairway and cantilevered balcony exemplify the quality and skill of its Victorian creators. Due to its architectural significance, the Lapham-Patterson House was named a National Historic Landmark in 1975.

Built between 1884–85 as a winter cottage for prosperous shoe merchant C.W. Lapham of Chicago, the residence was well-equipped with its own gas lighting system, hot and cold running water, indoor plumbing and modern closets. Like many other successful Northerners, Lapham came to the bustling resort town of Thomasville for its mild, pleasing climate and the supposed therapeutic value of the pine-scented air. The Laphams sold the winter house in 1894, and it was re-sold in 1905 to James G. Patterson. The Pattersons remained in possession until 1970.


Reservations & Facilities

  • The Lapham-Patterson House — call site to reserve
  • Picnic Area
  • Wedding/Event Space
  • Bus Parking

Things To Do & See

  • Picnicking
  • Guided Tours

Nearby Attractions

Photo Gallery

Hours

Historic Site
Friday 1 p.m.–5 p.m.
Saturday 10 a.m.–5 p.m.

Last tour at 4 p.m.

Closed on and around major holidays.

Historic Site Admission

  • Adults (18+): $8.00
  • Children (17 & under): $3.00

Group rates available with advance notice.

Phone Numbers

Historic Site 229-226-7664

Address

626 North Dawson Street
Thomasville, GA 31792
Thomas County

GPS Coordinates​​
N 30.845500 | W -083.982583