Logo graphic for the WildLife Resources Division
Facebook Icon Twitter Icon Instagram Icon YouTube Icon WordPress Icon Email Icon
Public Fishing Areas

Fishing on Wildlife Management Areas

Unless otherwise posted, fishing is allowed on WMAs according to state-wide regulations.  Alcohol use is prohibited on WMAs except in designated camping areas.  Refer to the Hunting Regulations guide for a complete list of  WMA regulations.

To fish on a WMA, one only needs a Fishing License (plus a Trout License if fishing in designated trout waters on a WMA). A Fishing License and a WMA License is required to fish on state Public Fishing Areas (PFAs) and Waters Creek Trophy Trout Stream on Chestatee WMA (plus appropriate trout fishing license if fishing in designated trout waters).

The following WMAs have state-operated boat ramps that allow for fishing access to public rivers and waters. There are other WMAs with fishing access and opportunities, but the following locations are contained in our boat ramp map database. Click on the WMA name to link to a location map and boat ramp information.


Receive FREE, timely updates on topics of interest. Sign Up Here!

LICENSES - 3 Ways to Buy

1. Phone 1-800-366-2661
2. Online - here
3. Retail License Vendor listing - here

Ranger Hotline


Report poaching and wildlife violations. You can receive a cash reward if your tip leads to an arrest—even if you wish to remain anonymous.
More Info >